Friday, November 2, 2012

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis


Epic classical listening right here. By about 10:50 my heart is just melting. This is, in my mind, the premiere recording of this composition by Ralph Vaughan Williams, "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis," performed by Sinfonia of London. They recorded this particular version, released by EMI, in a church in London in the middle of the night to decrease any effects of outside extraneous noise. The strings just utterly resound. It's amazing. I know next to nothing about classical music, but I find I'm beginning to grow a fondness for English composers, and this song I credit as the reason I'm even remotely interested in classical music suddenly.

Perfect with a glass of wine and a few minutes of sitting back and just absorbing the sound. And then, if you love it, "Norfolk Rhapsody" is another tune by Vaughan Williams well worth checking out, and not as lengthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment