Monday, April 8, 2013

The Little Things: Vintage Kitch Edition

I have a love affair with every kitchen I've ever been in. Be it the kitchen(s) I've grown up in -- my parents majorly remodeled ours, so I count it as two, or my grandparents' sprawling space, my various apartment kitchens, friends' kitchens and friends' parents' kitchens, and even the hodge-podge common area kitchens in college dorms. Pretty much that's my point right there -- kitchens are my favorite place to gather, but more than that, simple just to be.



Right now, I'm sitting at my kitchen table with my laptop and a cup of tea. My cat is trying to get my attention by being a pain in the ass, but that's not uncommon. Other than obviously doing my cooking in the kitchen, I check my email here, often sit at the table and read a book, listen to music here, and decorate/buy things for the kitchen more than any other room in my apartment.

I've got a thing for vintage kitchen... stuff. I was going to say kitchenware, but it's not really limited to just utensils or a teacup here or there (although if I did collect anything, it might be teacups). When I moved in, I inherited the cutest apartment stove I've ever seen, courtesy of my sister who lived here before me and scored it at the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.



Enamel-top and chrome tables, wooden cupboard pulls, vintage ice cream bowls, Pyrex stacking bowls, Jadeite (or as much Fire King as the heart could desire), a Hamilton Beach malt machine, and the list goes on. Yes, it's love.



What it all comes down to, though, is that love for teacups and stacking bowls is all well and good, except a little bit silly if one doesn't use them. So I try to use them a lot. Now that I'm giving this Whole30 thing a try, I've got a feeling I'll be using things a lot more. But some stuff is just nice to look at, such as these amazing Bakelite fruit knives, which of all things in the world, hold a pretty dear place in my heart. (Fruit knives? Really?)


I can't be the only one who finds the kitchen to be the best room in the house!

It's rainy 'round here today. April showers indeed. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment